Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Pagan Bunnies

Not sure if it is Global Warming or not, but has anyone seen a new leaf on a tree or a Spring flower pushing its way from the ground?

Spent the whole weekend looking to the skies and to the ground, but absolutely nothing -seriously barren.

Nonetheless it did not stop the Easter Bunnies from appearing all over the place.

I took myself out to Dole Fishing Museum on Sunday, to watch kids of all ages ( 2-50) dressing up as bunnies and smashing eggs, getting their faces painted and generally just having a good time in the open air.

Now you may ask, how did Bunnies manage to get into the whole Easter thing ? - is Easter not a time for remembering the death and resurrection of Jesus - well as ever the whole thing is a Pagan rite -

I quote

" The Easter bunny has its origin in pre-Christian fertility lore. The Hare and the Rabbit were the most fertile animals known and they served as symbols of the new life during the Spring season.

The bunny as an Easter symbol seems to have it's origins in Germany, where it was first mentioned in German writings in the 1500s. The first edible Easter bunnies were made in Germany during the early 1800s. And were made of pastry and sugar "

So once again the blog serves to educate, The Bunnie and Jesus represent new life

I also took myself for a walk along the beach at Jurmula. and lo and behold the ice and snow have gone, to once again expose the beautiful sandy beach (perhaps the only non smoking beach in Europe) - it was a pleasure not to have to breath the smoky fumes of others, however after suitably infecting myself with fresh air, I took myself off to De Lacey's to indulge myself with a beer and nicotine - cannot let the body get to healthy ! - and as the new anti-smoking law comes into effect on July 1st 2006, then this small pleasure will soon dissapear. Beer and Fresh air - whatever will they think of next ?

Well as I write this, the DAY is fast approaching, when I wake up tomorrow I will no longer be in my fifties, but entering my sixties, but a young sixty as opposed to an old fifty. In reality it will not make any difference, however if I had been in the UK I think I would have allowed to collect my bus pass - no such benefit here.

However as Billy Connolly once commented you know you are getting really old when your pubic hair goes grey -and I defer from indicating the current status of mine.

So as you have gathered Easter was pretty quiet, the weather a mixture of rain and sunshine, a bit like life ( see I can be profound).

To the village people - see Wednesday night - de Lacey's from about 6.30pm

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home