Monday, April 13, 2020

Well at the request of many (3 at least) and in these difficult time I have decided to revisit the blog and provide an update of life in Riga, such as it is.

Latvia has been  relatively unaffected by the virus outbreak with some 651 confirmed cases and as I write this only 3 confirmed deaths. The so called lock down has meant most bars, restaurants etc are closed, however a few do remain open as long as they limit numbers, and of course those who do attend keep the required 2 metres distance apart.

So what of me ? well for the moment like most people I am in lock down at home, apart from the occasional shopping trip, and when the weather permits a walk in the park. Also in an endeavor to stay fit I am using my indoor bicycle on daily basis (almost !)

Our local haunt the Kiwi Bar is long since closed for the duration, as is every bar restaurant in the old town, but in recent days I have discovered that the Flying Frog remains open (with restrictions) so I have been able to avail myself of a beer and enjoy the sunshine, although as I write this the weather is overcast and somewhat chilly.

So what has been going over recent times - well in January I was once again asked to deliver the Burns supper address, and got suitably dressed.

No idea who the Lady is - but it was good evening with the largest gathering ever ,some 170 guests.

As many of you will know most of the "old" crowd have long since departed from Latvia, but a few remain, A - English seller of white goods, F - Australian/Irish - Owner of bars,  V - Australian - builder of things and for a little while last year T - American - he with the loud laugh.

However as often happens in life a new set of friends have appeared over the years, too many to mention here, but they all have one thing in common - a love of golf.

This week, all being well I will celebrate my 74th birthday, and if the weather improves I will once again enjoy a beer in the sunshine.


So as I write this on Easter Monday, and prepare myself for another day of isolation, I wish all who read this a Happy Easter, and trust that you are all well and safe.






0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home